The Democracy Alliance is a network of donors and movement leaders that is helping to build the foundation of a sustainable progressive infrastructure. Since its inception in 2005, the DA has developed a mechanism for collaborative funding that provides organizations much needed multi-year, general operating support. Together, DA members are helping strengthen the progressive movement through integrated planning and strategic execution.
The platform created by the DA provides a premier opportunity for individuals to leverage the impact of their progressive philanthropy. It connects the individual efforts of donors with those of other individual and institutional donors, as well high-impact organizations and leaders.
The New American Majority Fund and New American Majority Action Fund builds and strengthens organizations to elect progressive champions and then work with these progressive champions to pass policy change that makes people’s lives better. The Program Manager coordinates and executes grant making strategies; works to implement the grant making strategy and program; and tracks the overall landscape and progress in the target states and works with the Director to adjust and refine strategies.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Program Manager, New American Majority Fund will:
- Work closely with the Senior Director, contribute to all aspects of the Fund’s strategy and work, including developing annual grant making strategy and work with the Fund’s Advisory Board
- Conduct research and analysis of emerging opportunities, the needs of the field, and alignment with allied funders
- Lead the implementation of the grant making strategy in select states
- Identify and coordinate state activities with allied funders, consultants, and national and state level partners
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with organizations, state thought leaders and experts, and funders
- Communicate with and convene organizations, as needed, to facilitate strong partnerships between and among organizations
- Coordinate with the Fund’s fiscal sponsor to maintain financial records and budgets
- Support fund development through cultivating relationships with funders, writing proposals, managing program and financial reporting, and other tasks as needed
- Support fund staff with limited administrative tasks
- Special projects as needed
Democracy Alliance seeks a candidate with:
- 5-7 years professional experience in related fields, such as community organizing in New American Majority communities, organizational development, political campaigns, and/or philanthropy
- Understanding of leading organizations and funders in the field
- Experience with campaign and/or strategy development
- Experience with research and analysis
- Experience in grant-making process (either as a funder or applicant), program development, and fundraising
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including the capacity to write clear and compelling program-related material and speak publicly as necessary
- Cultural competence, commitment to equity, and demonstrated ability to build diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization
- Experience with fundraising and board management a plus
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work flexibly, quickly, and effectively as part of a growing team
- Strong work ethic and resourcefulness, and high level of self-organization with close attention to detail
- Sense of humor and interest in building a strong culture and high-performing team
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Extremely well organized, detail-oriented, and analytical
Applicants should email staff(at)democracyalliance(dot)org and must include a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements. Email MUST reference “Program Manager, New American Majority Fund” position in the subject line. No calls, please.
We believe that employees from diverse backgrounds are critical to achieving our goals. We seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. We strongly encourage applications from persons with diverse backgrounds and experiences.