The Democracy Alliance is a network of donors and movement leaders that is helping to build the foundation of a sustainable progressive infrastructure. Since its inception in 2005, the DA has developed a mechanism for collaborative funding that provides organizations much needed multi-year, general operating support. Together, DA members are helping strengthen the progressive movement through integrated planning and strategic execution.
The platform created by the DA provides a premier opportunity for individuals to leverage the impact of their progressive philanthropy. It connects the individual efforts of donors with those of other individual and institutional donors, as well high-impact organizations and leaders.
DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS
The Director of Communications, together with the SVP for External Relations, will develop strategies to help generate greater awareness of the DA’s 2020 Vision and the progressive organizations and ideas it supports, to contribute to the national dialogue, grow the Partnership, and encourage greater support for DA-recommended organizations and efforts. The Director of Communications will oversee internal communications, developing new/innovative ways to share news and information with Partners and help them to connect with one another, as well as external communications, responding to media inquiries and developing proactive strategies to build awareness of the DA’s work – and the work of our recommended organizations – in traditional and new/social media outlets.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Communications will:
- Lead and manage all external communications work, including overall press strategy and implementation for multiple types of coverage including online and offline publications, blogs, social media accounts, websites, and other internally-generated content to promote the DA’s vision and priorities.
- Design and implement a communications plan to engage Progressive donors and the public through online and offline organizing to act
- Oversee process for revamping the DA’s public and internal communications, leading the thinking on the content that needs to be communicated with internal and external audiences and highlight new messengers
- Help create branding language and strategies, and on key organizational promotional materials and website
- Lead creative development of content including web copy, newsletter copy, press releases, and any other content creation needs including surveys, presentations, proactive pitches, etc.
- Assist in establishing the Democracy Alliance as a clearinghouse for information for the progressive community
- Design media plan and manage media placement firm to set-up and manage press briefings, coordinate media coverage for events;
- Evaluate and elevate online presence and bring new perspective to digital and social media across all channels;
- Support the President and other senior staff with communications writing and other work;
- Work with organizational allies to strategically align our goals and create an echo chamber for key messages and ideas;
- Ensure that both internal and external communications are innovative, interesting, current, and regular
- Encourage message discipline, promote partners’ work & respond rapidly to external news events.
The Democracy Alliance seeks a candidate with:
- At least five (5) years of experience in the field of journalism or communications
- Experience in electoral and/or issue campaigns
- Familiarity with progressive infrastructure
- Familiarity with conventional communications platforms but also with new/social media and the constantly changing options available for messaging to diverse audiences
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Experience developing PR strategies, including online and offline
- Highly developed editing abilities with experience writing, revising and generating web material and publications
- Experience pitching stories
- Possess a close network of editors, writers, and bloggers within established media
- Knowledge of staff at allied organizations communications
- Excellent teamwork as well as verbal and written communication skills
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to work quickly and effectively with a broad range of people and as part of a team
- Ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Ability to work well in fast-paced, dynamic environments
- Ability to present and explain a portfolio of releases, proactive pitches, blogs, or other written communications
- Strong work ethic, resourcefulness and willingness to take on wide-ranging responsibilities
- Sense of humor and interest in building a strong culture and a high-performing team
- Ability to work under pressure and adapt as needs and priorities change
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time
REPORTS TO: Senior Vice President for External Relations
BASED IN: Washington, DC
POSITIONS AVAILABLE: One
START DATE: Immediately
TRAVEL: Some travel will be required.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience, education, and ability
Applicants should email email@example.com and must include a cover letter, resume, an unedited writing sample and salary requirements. Email MUST reference “Director of Communications” position in the subject line. No calls, please.
The Democracy Alliance especially invites applications from candidates who reflect the breadth of the progressive movement and can bring a diversity of talents, backgrounds, experiences and viewpoints. The DA is an equal opportunity employ and is committed to excellence through diversity.